The Dos and Don’ts When It Comes To Tile Cleaning
Posted On August 14th, 2019
While it’s true that tiles are a relatively low maintenance option that makes cleaning a breeze, even tiles need to have cared for the right way in order for them to last a long time without damage. If you want to keep your tiles looking new, without having to worry about cracks, chipping or mold, then read this guide from Pro Tiling Melbourne, Experienced Tilers Melbourne, on the dos and don’ts of tile cleaning.
The Dos & Don’ts Of Cleaning Your Tiles
- Don’t use steel wool or other abrasive materials to clean: As tempting as it might be to use a brush to scrub off the dirt from the tiles and grout, using such abrasive materials can lead to scratches, making your tiles appear old and dull over time.
- Use a sponge or a soft washcloth: Instead of a brush, use a sponge or a washcloth. If you find it difficult to get all the dirt out with a sponge, that’s an indication that you should clean your tiles more often.
- Don’t use bleach: Using harsh cleaning agents like ammonia and bleach is another big no-no. Harsh chemicals can strip the tiles and cause extensive damage to the grouting between tiles.
- Use a professional tile cleaning service: It’s a good idea to hire a professional tile cleaning service to clean your tiles once every 6 months. This will ensure that your tiles look as good as new for much longer, saving you time, money and effort in the long run.
- Don’t use coloured cleaning solutions: Tiles have minuscule pores and when you use a coloured cleaning solution, over time, there’s a risk of the colour getting deposited in the tiles, changing their colour.
- Use only clear cleaning solutions: Make it a point to use only clear cleaning solutions that won’t stain your tiles, no matter how frequently you use them.
- Don’t install the tiles yourself: This last point is not about tile cleaning, but it has a strong impact on the life and quality of your tiles. DIY tile installations might save you a few bucks, but they could also cost you dearly. If the surface wasn’t properly prepped, or the sealant wasn’t applied in the right manner, you could end up with cracked, chipped or dislodged tiles, not to mention leaks that could even compromise your home’s structural integrity if it’s a big leak.
Hire a Professional Tiler Melbourne
Hiring a Professional Tiling Service will ensure your tiles are installed properly. Just make sure you find a tiler with extensive experience. For instance, Pro Tiling Melbourne has over ten years of experience in the tiling business. So, it’s safe to say that we know everything there is to know about tiling for residential and commercial properties.
Follow these dos and don’ts and your tiles will retain their beauty and last a very long time.
Are you looking for an experienced tiling service in Melbourne? We’ve got you. To request a quote, contact us on 0450 516 537.